Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Holy Microphone of Herbert W Armstrong


From the Church of God Holding Fast To All Things splinter group:

During the midst of the 2012 Feast of Tabernacles, someone who is not affiliated with our group, nor have I ever met, emailed me with what I thought at the time was an unusual question. He asked if I would be interested in having or acquiring a microphone that at one time belonged to Mr. Herbert W Armstrong.
At first I thought this was some kind of prank or scam, but I noticed he had attached some pictures of the microphone in his email. The pictures looked legitimate and this person also gave some background about the microphone (he is a musician) and how he came into possession of it and his past association with the Worldwide Church of God and Ambassador College.
It didn’t take me long to respond to this email and indeed affirm my interest in this microphone. It would be nice to have for historical purposes as well as sentimental value even though I didn’t know if the microphone even worked. This man then emailed me back to inquire as to “why” I wanted this microphone. He was apparently wanting to find a good home for it and wanted to make sure it was not destroyed and he stated that he knew there were people out there who love to destroy anything associated with Mr. Armstrong.
I assured him that this would not happen and gave him some background about myself and our work here on the Church of God website. We made an agreement on the price for the microphone which was very fair, and I received the microphone in the mail shortly after the 2012 Feast of Tabernacles.
I was surprised to find that not only does this microphone work, but it works very well! I have been using this microphone to record my sermons that are posted on this website since shortly after the 2012 Feast.
I fully understand that this microphone is just a physical object. But to me it takes on a great symbolic meaning. This “physical object” was used by God’s end time apostle in helping to fulfill Matt. 24:14 (preaching the gospel to the world as a witness) which we know is a fulfilled prophecy.
This microphone came to me “out of the blue” (or did it?) and was totally unexpected. And it came at the end of seven years since the beginning of this website. To me it is a great blessing and an honor to be able to use this powerful tool. I only hope I can live up to the example and standard that was set by its original owner.
Daniel E. Cohran

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always buy the best quality you can afford.

And sometimes you can get that best quality for a discount if it is used....

Wonder if any more second hand equipment is available?

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Electrovoice 660 series Dynamic Dual-Z Super Cardiod Dynamic Microphone.

I believe this is a 1960s model Dynamic Microphone, or a University Sound US664. I/m not sure. It was designed to make sure sound from the front was picked up while rear sound was not. Actually a pretty good microphone for it's time.

I don't know why it says H.W. ARMSTRONG H.W. 1942, unless Armstrong specifically designed that mic for himself. I bet back in the day just holding it without authorization was grounds for disfellowshipment.

It is, at the end of the day, just a microphone. The fact it was used by a pioneer radio/televangelist adds a lot of auction value I'm sure. But to me, it's worthless.

Anonymous said...

Sony ECM-51 microphone is my favorite. COME ON DOWN! YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON...

More valuable than "that" one anyday!! ;)

Darwin said...

Just because that tag says Herbert W Armstrong it does NOT mean it was used by HWA. When Herb ran off to Tuscon in exile he made all employees and both the church and college in to Herbert Armstrong Corporate Sole. Property tags were changed on most everything. All that tag means is that it was used by the church or college at some time in the past. The chances of Herb using it are slim to none.

Head Usher said...

"...which we know is a fulfilled prophecy."

We do?

Anonymous said...

They're collecting relics...like the medieval church. Disgusting.

Byker Bob said...

Who knew that memorabilia from HWA would ever reach such status? And, they mocked the shroud of Turin!

BB

RSK said...

Geesh. I was OK with it up till he started going on about using it himself.

The Holy Prayer Rock!
The Holy Letters From The Auditorium Wall!
The Holy Big Sandy Sculpture!
The Holy Candleabra!

This is getting silly.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if his grave has been pillaged yet. How medieval would that be to have the gold and jewel encrusted skull of St. Herbert under glass? I call dibs. First one to Mountain View Cemetery tonight at midnight, first served.

Anonymous said...

Darwin is correct in what he said. That tag on the microphone is an inventory tag that was placed on all college and church related property after HWA declared the church a Corporation Sole. It was Herb's way of trying to thwart the Attorney General during the lawsuit. What are we going to see posted next? Herb's personal roll of toilet paper?